MPSC Departmental Examination for Assistant Inspectors Post Recruitment in the Motor Vehicle Department – 2016 Question Paper
PAPER – I
Vehicle lay – out engines, internal combustion engine, automobile elements, etc.
(1) Attempt all questions.
(2) The marks for each question have been indicated in the margine.
(3) Draw a neat diagrams, wherever necessary.
- Select proper alternatives:-
(a) The friction that occurs between the layers of oil in an oil film is called:-
(i) Viscous friction
(ii) Solid friction
(iii) Boundary friction
(iv) Greasy friction.
(b) The venturi in the carburetter causes the:-
(1) Increase of air velocity
(ii) Decrease of air velocity
(iii) Decrease of fuel flow
(iv) Decrease of manifold vacuum.
(c) Contact breaker points are generally made-up of:-
(d) Gear reduction between the starting motor and the flywheel is about:-
(e) In a three way catalytic converter, the first converter stage controls:-
(iv) all of these.
(f) The unit of brake power is:-
(i) Kilo Newton
(ii) Kilo Watt
(iii) Kilo Pascal
(iv) Kilo Newton-meter.
(g) The purpose of piston rings is to control:-
(i) Combustion Pressure
(ii) Cylinder wall lubrication
(iii) Oil consumption
(iv) All of these.
(h) The thermostat value starts to open at about:-
(i) The drive for mechanical fuel pump in taken from the:-
(iii) Distributor shaft
(iv) any of these.
(j) Excessive contact breaker gap results in:-
(i) Advanced timing
(ii) increased dwell
(iii) Rapid burning of points
(iv) All of these.
- (a) What are the advantages of the alternator over the D.C. generator?
(b) How will you test whether a spark plug is functioning properly?
(c) Describe the function of the head lamp double filament.
- (a) Explain the working of a typical catalytic convertor and its types with the help of a schematic diagram.
(b) Explain the working of a simple carburetter with the help of a diagram.
- Write short notes (any four) (Drawa diagrams, wherever necessary):-
(a) Hydraulic brake system.
(b) Toe-in and Toe – out
(c) Thermostat valve
(d) Shock absorbers
(e) Tyre rotation.
- Draw schematic and properly labelled diagrams of (any two):-
(a) Spark plug (b) Petrol filter
(c) Crankshaft for a 4 cylinder in line engine.
- (a) Explain the procedure for checking air pollution levels of a petrol vehicle and a diesel vehicle.
(b) What can be causes and their remedies in care of following complaints of ignition system:-
(i) Engine misfire on one cylinder.
(ii) Engine does not start and there is also no spark from the coil.
(iii) Engine gets unduly hot.
PAPER – II
Motor vehicles act, 1988 and motor vehicles rules, 1989 etc.
(1) The maximum marks for the questions are indicated on the right.
(2) Verbatim copying from textbooks shall result in reduction of marks.
- Explain with definition (any four):-
(a) Trailer and Semi Trailer.
(b) Public Service Vehicle and Private Service Vehicle.
(c) Owner and Financier.
(d) Construction Equipment Vehicles and Power Tiller.
(e) Driving Licence and Smart Card.
- (a) Which Registering Authority and Transport Authority must be applied to, in order to register a vehicle and obtain a permit for the same? Explain the criteria laid down in the relavent provision of Motor Vehicle Act.
(b) Explain the necessity of security licence (Registration) places in a short note.
(c) Which different tests, a taxi meter is subjected to, at various stages, before it can be fitted on a vehicle to be used for hire or reward? Explain.
- (a) Discuss provisions under the Motor Vehicle Act relating to driving by a drunken person or by a person under the influence of drugs. Identify lacunae in effective enforcement of the same and suggest remedies
(b) Explain various test, prescribed for the renewal of a certificate of fitness of a vehicle.
- (a) Explain restriction imposed on the use of vehicle in public place construed to be in such a condition as to constitute a danger to public. Explain the procedure involved in suspension of its certificate of registration.
(b) Discuss the provisions under Motor Vehicle Act relating to the vehicle involved in carriage of goods in excess of the gross vehicle weight. Explain permissible action against the vehicle owner, pennit holder and the driver of the vehicle as also the departmental action against the pennit and the driver’s licence.
- Write short notes (any five):-
(a) Various permissible lights on vehicles.
(b) Different Classes of Hazardous / Dangerous goods, emergency information panel, TREM Card.
(c) Transfer of permits-provisions and procedures.
(d) School Bus Regulations.
(e) ‘ Rent-a-Cab ‘ scheme.
(f) State and Regional Transport Authorities-Constitution and Functions.
(g) Skills mandated for obtaining driving licence to drive vehicles.
PAPER – III
Maharashtra motor vehicles tax act, 1958, Maharashtra motor vehicles tax rules, 1959 and Maharashtra motor vehicles tax (taxation on Passengers) act, 1958 and rules thereunder
(1) All five questions are compulsory.
(2) All question carry equal marks.
(3) Indiscriminate copying of books will not be counted for marks
- Explain following definitions (any five):-
(a) Air-conditioned Motor Vehicle
(b) Stage Carriage
(e) Private Service Vehicle
(f) Public Place
- Explain following concepts:-
(a) Demand notice and its importance. Procedure to serve demand notice under both Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Tax Act, 1958 and Maharashtra Motor Vehicle (Taxation on Passengers) Tax Act, 1958.
(b) Power to Police and Motor Vehicles Officers under Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Tax Act, 1958 and Maharashtra Motor Vehicle (Taxation on Passengers) Tax Act, 1958 to stop any motor vehicle and check it.
- (a) What are provisions regarding levy of tolls under Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Tax Act, 1958? Explain it briefly.
(b) Explain the penal provisions regarding the vehicles who do not pay taxes within prescribed time under both Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Tax Act, 1958 and Maharashtra Motor Vehicle (Taxation on Passengers) Tax Act, 1958 and Rules there under.
- (a) Explain the procedure in detail regarding the recovery of arrears of tax due under M.M.V. Tax Act and M.M.V. (Taxation on Passengers) and Rules there under.
(b) Explain procedure, if arrears of tax are required to be recovered as per provisions of Land Revenue Code.
- (a) Explain the provisions of levy of One Time Tax on Private Vehicles, with examples, having different prices. Further states what type of private vehicles are not covered by this provision.
(b) Also describe the categories of Transport Vehicles which are covered under the provisions of compulsory One Time Tax and optional One Time Tax.